Warren School
In the Helena Valley


ANCESTRY.COM • COLORIZED AND ENHANCED IMAGES

The land for Warren School was donated to the County by ranchers William and Lucinda Hardesty Warren (1844-1928, 1833-1927). William was a native of England, coming to the U.S. in 1866, then to Helena in 1871. Lucinda was born in Kentucky.

 

Exact dates for the construction of the early Warren School buildings were not found in the available archives, but certainly by the early 1880s. This building, now used for storage, was the second Warren School on the site, and possibly dates from 1915. The 1955 aerial photo below shows this building and the smaller original building just to the east.


A Short History of the School from
"Valleys of the Prickly Pear"


CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE IN A NEW WINDOW



This 1938-39 photo by Roy Millegan Sr. shows the original building on the right. A colorized version of this photo appears farther below, with student names as recalled by Roy.





A 1910 Gathering at Warren School
Unknown Occasion




COLORIZED AND ENHANCED



25th Wedding Anniversary of
James Roy and Effie Lidolph Millegan
Jan. 6, 1934




Pupils on Front Steps, 1938-39
Colorized and Enhanced


PHOTO BY ROY MILLEGAN SR.

"From left to right: unknown June Benson. Wayne Herrin; Darlene Benson, Arnold ______: could be Roy Morgan: Chester Julio: could be Jim Morgan: unknown: unknown. Sitting on top, left to right, Donnie Lichtwardt; Artist Bob Morgan. Elmer Ness. Missing are Bill, Jack and Marie Rogan."
-- Roy Millegan Sr.

The school building was stuccoed following the 1935 earthquakes, which damaged the school to the extent that classes were held for a time at a nearby ranch,



Warren School, May 25, 1948


COURTESY OF STACEY GILMOR WEBB


Warren School Class, May 25, 1948
Teacher Dorothy Hagler Simmons at Top Right


COURTESY OF STACEY GILMOR WEBB


Warren School, 1970s


PHOTO BY ROY MILLEGAN SR.



New Building in 1969
Additions in 1977 and 1993