A native of Ireland, Hugh F. Galen came to Helena in 1867 via Viriginia City, MT. He achieved considerable financial success in Helena. The 1883 Galen Building (aka Galen Block) stood at 14-1/2 South Main (Last Chance Gulch), at the foot of Broadway, until the early 1970s, when it was demolished as part of the Urban Renewal program.
Galen passed away in Los Angeles in 1899. His remains were first interred at the old Catholic Cemetery on Oakes Street in Helena, but were later moved to Resurrection Cemetery.
His obituary from the Helena Independent is below.