Apartments, ca. 1895-1989
Bonneville Apartments Under Demolition, 1989
COURTESY OF JEFF SHERLOCK
on the northeast corner of Park and Lawrence, the Bonneville
was the final result of the gradual expansion and remodeling of 1880s commecial buildings. It opened as the two-story West Hotel circa 1894. The building
was extensively remodeled in 1907-08 in the Mission
Revival Style. A third story was added at that time, and it became the Bonneville Apatements.
mosaic tiles decorated the floor of the small Park Ave. entryway,
and several light wells brightened the building's interior.
There was no elevator; a wide central stairwell served the
two top floors. A flight of back stairs led down to the parking
lot on the east side. Coal for the large furnace in the basement
was delivered via a chute on the Lawrence St. (south) side
of the building.
view was taken from the City-County (old Federal) Building
by Jeff Sherlock.
Two Views of the East Side of the Building
West Hotel, about 1895
Seen from Helena High School, Lawrence and N. Warren
OF SEAN LOGAN
Hotel for Sale
C. F. Ellis & Co. Invest in Remodeling, 1907
Apartments, about 1910
WES AND CAROL SYNNESS COLLECTION
floor has been added, some windows bricked in, and decorative
Mission Revival details added.