in this wonderful 1925 view is the combination art suppy/book/stationery
store and undertaking parlor operated by Edward L. Flaherty
(1855-1930) and J. Victor Kohler (1880-1933).
came to Helena in 1889, after following the gold rush trail
from Colorado to the Black Hills. He opened his undertaking
parlor, hiring J. Victor Kohler away from Hermann & Company
undertakers as his assistant. In 1901, Flaherty set off for
the Alaska gold rush, leaving Kohler in charge of the mortuary.
In 1912, they formed a formal partnership. It was about that
time that Kohler established an art/book/stationery store in
connection with the undertaking establishment...
one of Charles M. Russell's canvases was framed in Helena by
Flaherty sold out to Kohler. The firm soon moved from the Broadway
location to 4 North Jackson St.
died in his Helena home (716 Power) on Nov. 14 1930. Kohler
died in Helena at the old St. John's Hospital on May 9 1933.
to Flaherty's is the Montana Record Herald newspaper, which
merged with the Helena Independent in 1944 to create the Independent
In the lower
left-hand corner of the Broadway photo above is the somewhat
homemade-looking sign of a McNess Store, with Joe Rothschiller
General Agent. The
McNess Company is still in business.
to Helena historian Sean Logan for sharing this photo!