Carroll College
Founded in 1909 as Mount St. Charles College
46°36'3.00"N 112° 2'28.18"W

Mount St. Charles College was renamed Carroll College in 1932 to honor its founder, Bishop John P. Carroll (1864-1925).


Bishop John P. Carroll
COURTESY OF THE DIOCESE OF HELENA WEBSITE

On September 27, 1909, President William Howard Taft laid the cornerstone of the college. Taft was on a tour through Montana, and came to Helena by rail that day, via Anaconda and Butte.



Earthquake Damage to Carroll College, 1935

 

 

Aerial Photo of Carroll College, 1930s

 

 

 

Carroll College Campus, 1940s







"Carroll Village" Postwar Housing

Immediately following World War II, Carroll saw a dramatic increase in the enrollment of married students. Housing was found for them in Vancouver Washington, where the Federal Public Housing Administration was in the process of dismantling projects which had housed wartime shipyard workers.



THE FOOTPRINT OF CARROLL VILLAGE SUPERIMPOSED ON A RECENT SATELLITE VIEW

Five buildings, each containing four four-room apartments (which were likely from Vancouver's Burton Homes project) were shipped to Helena and rebuilt by the Carson Construction Co. on College-owned land near the intersection of Euclid and Harrison Ave., where the Lundy Center is now. It was dubbed "Carroll Village".




COURTESY OF CATHEE CRAPO

On the right can be seen several "Carroll Village" units. This view taken from Harrison St., Easter 1962.

 

 

Carroll Campus, about 1956



COURTESY OF WENDI KOTTAS PETERSON

 

 

The Carroll Campus, 1970s