Central School
MONTANA'S FIRST GRADED SCHOOL • Est. 1876
46°35'21.73"N 112° 2'7.01"W


Stereoview of Central School, ca. 1875




Stereoview of a Helena classroom (presumably Central School), ca. 1875.




Central School, ca. 1900


COURTESY OF TOM MULVANEY CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 

Two Views of the Present (1915 & 1921) Central School
From 8th Avenue


COURTESY OF TRUDY ERICKSON • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

The present Central School was built in 1915 and expanded in 1921. Much original architectural detail was lost to the 1935 earthquakes.



From North Warren Street


COLLECTION OF NANCY GOODSPEED



1921 Expansion

 

Construction on the West Side of the Present Central School
1921 Expansion

Note on the right side that the first Central School building was still standing.



Central School playground, late 1940s


THE WES AND CAROL SYNNESS COLLECTION

This playground was the site of Helena's first cemetery. Most of the remains were moved to the Benton Avenue Cemetery when it opened in 1870.

 

Central School Graduating Class, 1947


COURTESY OF THE DAVID POOR COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 

Central School Graduating Class, 1954


COURTESY OF CHARLEEN SPALDING • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW



Go back to SCHOOLS