Cosmopolitan Hotel, located at 37-39 South Main, was
for many years Helena's finest hotel. It was ideally
situated at the hub of banking and commerce during
the boom years, and attracted all the movers and shakers
of the era. During its peak, the Cosmopolitan was
operated by Sam Schwab and Ed Zimmerman.
about 1920, the building housed the store of C. J.
Bausch & Sons, retailers of stoves and ranges.
The two upper floors were removed after being damaged
in the 1935 earthquakes, that damage being caused
in part by a large heavy sign which had been mounted
on the front of the building.