DeWalt Studio and Camera Shop
Various Locations on Main St.
& Camera Shop Logo, 1950s
DeWalt was probably Helena's most prolific photographer of
the 20th century. He took thousands of student portraits over
the decades, along with a great many special occasion photographs.
He is best remembered today for his distinctive radio ads,
a sample of which may be heard by clicking on the radio. Audio
courtesy of Wally Peel...
Studio & Camera Shop Radio Ad
was something of a community activist, and was one of the
most vocal critics of the closing of Main Street to automobile
traffic during the "Uraban Renewal" period of the
1970s. He was married to Gail
Meagher DeWalt (1908-2005) who worked in various stenographic,
secretarial and administrative positions in Montana state
government. Clarence had a son, Richard (1933-1986), from
a previous marriage. The DeWalts resided at 1 Washington Place
for many years.
Studio in the Union Bank Building, 2 North Main
Moves to South Main at Broadway
(probably 12 South Main), 1954
Moves to 28 North Main, 1959
DeWalt Studio, 28 North Main, Seen on the Left, 1960s