1892 LITHOGRAPH BY WARD BROS., COLUMBUS OHIO - COLLECTION OF KENNON
School from the Southwest, ca. 1895
Emerson School Seen from St. Vincent's Academy, 1890s
OF THE JEZICK COLLECTION
Emerson School ~ 1942 Renamed for Educator May Butler in
Emerson and two other schools, Broadwater and Jefferson, were
considered to be inadequate because of age. In June of that
year, a petition drive culminated in a school bond election
that passed overwhelmingly. The new Emerson and Broadwater schools
were completed in 1942 but, likely because of wartime constraints,
Jefferson was not completed until 1949.
Emerson School (later the May Butler School, now offices of
the Helena Public School District) was completed in the summer
of 1942, at the corner of South Rodney and Miller Street,
about 1/4 mile north of the 1891 school site. The old school was demolished in 1944.