Dwight T. Goodell Garden
Where Grizzy and Oro Fino Gulches Meet

Dwight T. Goodell (ca.1820-1888) came to Helena in 1866. Until the area was overtaken by mining interests, he operated large gardens at the junction of Oro Fino and Grizzly Gulches.

This garden has been refered to as being a Chinese garden, and although there were several commercial gardens in Helena operated by Chinese, this was not one of them. The actual Chinese garden most referenced in contemporary Helena newspapers was the one located where Helena Senior High School is today. According to online newspaper archives, there was another in the vicinity of present-day North Ewing St. and East 17th St., one near Main and Lawrence, and one west of town near the Kessler Brewery.


Goodell Gardens, Looking South Up Grizzly Gulch


COURTESY OF THE JEZICK COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 

Goodell Gardens, Looking South Up Oro Fino Gulch


COURTESY OF THE JEZICK COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 

Site of the Goodell Gardens, West Main, 1950s


COURTESY OF THE DAVID POOR COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW


Go back to "OLD SOUTH MAIN"