Homer Block - 1890 to 1971
Known as the Central View Apartments
Homer Block, ca. 1940
KENNON BAIRD CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN
A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW
on the SW corner of Park Ave. and Clarke St., this ornate American
Queen Anne style building had apartments on the upper floors,
and offices on the ground floor. Dressmakers, physicians, lawyers,
music teachers and others rented commercial space there over
the years. From 1906 to 1915, the Christian Science Reading
Room was located in the Homer Block.
about 1932, the building was named the Central View Apartments.
It stood until 1971, when it was one of the first Victorian
structures in Helena to fall to the Model City/Urban Renewal
Copper Griffins Above the Corner Entrance, 1935
OF THE SEAN LOGAN COLLECTION
will remember the fantastic copper griffins above the corner doorway
of the Homer Block. They are now in the collection of the Montana
|Homer Block doorway, photo by Les Jorud, courtesy of the Montana Memory Project, MHS 953-196
of the Homer Block superimposed on a recent satellite image. A
widened Park Ave. now cuts through part of the site.
Block from Park Avenue, 1960s
BY DENNY McCALL FROM THE BOOK "GOLD IN THE GULCH"
BY JEAN BAUCUS, BAR WINEGLASS PUBLICATIONS, 1981
Block Demolition from Clarke St., 1971
OF JAN AND BILL BROWN, VIA THE INDEPENDENT RECORD
South at the Site of the Homer Block, Summer 1973
BY VIRGIE MILLEGAN BAIRD COLLECTION OF KENNON BAIRD
of the Homer Block from the Federal Building, 1970s
CITY OF HELENA / LEWIS & CLARK COUNTY
CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW