Kessler School

First known as Kenwood School
Named for Genial Brewmeister and Brickmaker Nickolas Kessler


COLLECTION OF KENNON BAIRD • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

An early photo of Kenwood (later Kessler) School, circa 1893. Land for this building was donated in 1892 by Nickolas Kessler. Part of his Kessler Brewery is seen in the distance. This view shows the south and east sides of the school.

 



CIRCA 1892 LITHOGRAPH BY WARD BROS., COLUMBUS OHIO - COLLECTION OF KENNON BAIRD



South and East Sides of Kenwood School, 1898


PHOTO FROM "VALLEYS OF THE PRICKLY PEAR" - 1988 by LITTLE RED SCHOOLHOUSE, INC. - OUT OF PRINT



1935 Earthquake Damage







North side of Kessler School, post-quake. The building was pulled down, and a new one-story school was erected on the site in 1936.




North Side of the 1936 Kessler School Building • 1942


COURTESY OF KATHRYN FEHLIG

 

 

Aerial Photo of Kessler School • Early 1950s


COURTESY OF KATHRYN FEHLIG




East Side of the 1936 Building • 1980s


PHOTO BY KENNON BAIRD

The open house for this building was held Nov. 13, 1936 -- a little over a year after the old school was demolished. It has seen several additions and renovations over the years. It's notable in this view that more than half of the original tall windows have been covered over and/or removed.

 


PHOTO BY KENNON BAIRD

Southwest corner of Kessler School, 1980s. There was once a pint-sized baseball diamond located just to the left of this view.



Kessler School Classroom, ca 2000