Lamb Roberts writes...
original Lamb Ranch occupied 640 acres; the house sits on
what is now the corner of Montana Ave. and Beaverhead Drive.
Henry A. and Annie Lamb, and their five children, Grace, Ed,
George, Ella and Hilda, came from Broadlands, IL to the Helena
Valley in 1918.
brick home and garage, both of which still stand, was built
that same year by Baline and Lindstrom for the princely sum
of $15,000. The house is 4 stories, counting the basement,
which contained a furnace room, coal room, laundry room, fruit
room, and an extra bedroom. The main floor provided a kitchen,
a sunroom, which was used in the summer as a dining room for
the hired men, a large family dining room, a music room, and
library. The upstairs had 4 bedrooms, a bath, and an attic
Upon completion of the house came the outbuildings - a big
horse barn, granaries, icehouse, oil shed, chicken houses,
double garage, shop, machine shed, bunkhouse, and a long dairy
barn. All the outbuildings were painted red with white trim.
A memory from Hilda Lamb quotes "We had dances in the
barn, and lots of parties and dances on the porch of the house.
We put cornmeal on the cement floor of the porch to make it
easier to dance."
Henry and Annie celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary
in 1946. A few years later, Annie died. George and his wife,
Darlene, along their two children, John and Marilyn, moved
to the ranch to help Ed and Henry with ranching duties. Henry
died in 1956.
Originally, the Lamb family raised purebred Hereford cattle,
and in later years, purebred Aberdeen Angus was the breed
of choice. Other livestock included horses, pigs, rabbits
and domestic fowl. The acreage also sustained wheat, oats,
and alfalfa. Darlene had an 'egg route' in the city of Helena,
and the children would help collect, grade, and package the
eggs. Darlene, with Marilyn in tow, would drive to town once
a week to deliver fresh eggs to her customers.
Haying time was very labor intensive. The baling was done
using 'modern' baling equipment. However, the 60-80 lb. bales
were picked up by hand from the field and placed on the horse-drawn
wagon by Ed, George, young John, and hired hands.
Progress had come to the Helena Valley and the new Interstate
Highway #15 cut thru the best of the farming land. The house
and property were sold in 1959. Treasure State Acres, a housing
subdivision, has taken the place of the once fertile land,
barns and other out buildings.
taken from "Valleys of the Prickly Pear", published
by The Little Red Schoolhouse, Inc., now out of print)