Chance Drive-Inn (sometimes noted as Drive-In) operated from
the early 1950s until about 1960. Tax records say the 2038
North Main St. building was constructed in 1950, but the first
newspaper ads for the Drive-Inn appear in 1953. It was a summertime
It was opened by Margaret Vetter "Buggs" Fletcher (1913-1992) and her husband Gilbert B. "Joe" Fletcher.
The "floating hamburger" was apparently a short-lived item on the menu. It was essentially a burger with a chili-based sauce, and perhaps some additional fixings.
In 1963, L. C. McDonald received a permit to remodel the building
to the tune of $6K -- which works out to about $50K in today's
money. The building and lot have primarily been used car dealerships
since 1963, but has also been the Niblack Slenderizing Salon
and Jans House of Vacuums & Sewing Machines. As
of August 2015, it is a used car dealership, Gary's Auto Plaza.