The Lee Building in Chinatown
14-16 West State Street • Demolished During Urban Renewal

The site of the Lee Building is now occupied by the Lewis & Clark Library. West State Street was eliminated during Urban renewal in the 1970s.

Before the Lee Building was constructed circa 1886, the site was occupied by a Chinese "wash house" (laundry). Chinatown occupied an area extending several blocks south of the Lee Building site, between West Main and Clore (now S. Park Avenue).

 

 

The Lee Building circa 1920, Seen from Old City Hall


COURTESY OF SEAN LOGAN

The Lee Building was constructed circa 1886.

 

 

The Lee Building, Vigilante Parade, 1940s


COURTESY OF SEAN LOGAN • CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A BIG VIEW IN A NEW WINDOW

An architectural survey of the building was done in 1968 as part of the Urban Renewal program. By that time, the ornate cornice had been removed and the tall first-floor windows had been mostly boarded over. The building was then owned by Helena attorney Arthur P. Acher, and was classified in the survey as a "Slum Dwelling". It was demolished in the early 1970s.

 

Lee Building, 1968


COURTESY OF SEAN LOGAN