Mutual Coal Co.

Mutual Coal Co. Office, Railroad Ave. and Lamborn St., 1930s


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY

The scale was located between the office and the coal bins -- the buildings where the "hauling & storage" sign is.

The small sign by the office door is for Jeffries Coal, which was mined near Roundup, Montana.

These wonderful photos are courtesy of Bob Guffey, grandson of Mutual Coal Company owner, Ora Guffey. Thanks, Bob!



Location of the Mutual Coal Co.

Located here were the small office, scale, and coal bins. The truck fleet was housed in a garage (seen below) but I am presently unsure of its location, other than it was also in the Sixth Ward.



In 1927, Bear Creek Mutual Coal became the Helena Mutual Coal Company . The name was later changed to the Mutual Coal Company.



 

Ora Guffey (1892-1981), Owner of the Mutual Coal Co.


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY

Mr. Guffey had other Helena interests over the years, including selling real estate and operating the Ora Guffey Trading Post, dealing in all manner of goods.

 

 

Ora and Nellie Guffey, With the Truck Fleet in Front of the Garage


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY




Mutal Coal Co. Newspaper Ad

Coal was branded and marketed on a retail level in those days, and was sold by the ton in various sizes -- like "lump". "egg" and "nut".

 

 

The Truck Fleet and Drivers


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY

 



Drivers Identified as Earl and Joe


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY

 

 

Damage to the Garage After the First of the 1935 Earthquakes


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY

 

 

Damage to the Garage a Few Days Later, After the Final Earthquake


COURTESY OF BOB GUFFEY



Earthquake Story

The above Independent Record story about the earthquake damage contains a small error, in that Consumer's Coal was a different company, in competition with Mutual Coal.

In later years, as the use of coal declined, Ora Guffey transitioned the business into a kind of general mercantile, operating the Ora Guffey Trading Post at Lyndale and N. Oakes, also in the Sixth Ward.