1897 Rocky Mountain Telephone Company building, SE corner
of Grand St. and Jackson. Behind it is the A. P. Curtin
Store on Grand St. A third floor and addition to the back
of the building were constructed in the early 1920s.
many years this building served as Montana headquarters
for Rocky Mountain Bell, and
contained the business office, long distance and local service
operators for the manually operated central office. It housed
equipment and personnel to maintain the Northern Transcontinental
Toll Line extending east to west across Montana, and the
Helena-Salt Lake and Helena-Calgary long distance networks.
operators, the business office and most maintenance personnel
were moved to
the dial exchange building at 441 N. Park following inauguration
of dial service in 1955.
In January of 1962, all state administralive offices together
with engineering and accounting
departments were consolidated in the present state headquarters
building, purchased by the
telephone firm from Western Life.
equipment was removed from the Jackson St. building in 1966.