To facilitate the construction and operation of the new warehouse, Front Street was extended north. A property dispute arose between George G. E. Neill (1884-1964) and the City. Neill claimed ownership of the property, and erected wooden barricades across Front and 13th Streets, requiring traffic to go through the Great Northern railyard to get to the new warehouse. The dispute went on for a good two years.
At one point in the lengthy proceedings, Neill claimed that the gravel on the property was rich with gold, and demanded $25,000 to resolve the issue and remove the barricades. Mining experts testified that the gravel had been worked and worked again, and that not enough gold remained to justify the expense of extracting it.
The matter was finally settled in August of 1939 for $570.85, and the barricades were taken down..