The Steamboat Block
Main St. at Neill Ave.

Period Illustration of the 1887 Steamboat Block

Built as company headquarters by shipping magnate Thomas C. Power in 1887, the Steamboat Block still stands today, but in a drastically remodeled and truncated form.

From 1887 until at least 1892, the second and third floors were given over to hotel rooms -- the Lenoir Hotel.

In 1940, the "prow" of the block was removed and a automobile service station was built.

 

1888 and 1951 Fire Insurance Maps of the Steamboat Block
Showing Structural Changes





Circa 1891 Rendering of the Steamboat Block as Seen from Helena Avenue
Published by Ide and Rumsey, Helena


COURTESY OF TOM MULVANEY • CLICK ON IMAGE FOR A BIG VIEW IN A NEW WINDOW



Circus Camels Parading on Helena Avenue, Probably 1920s


COURTESY OF THE DAVID POOR COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 

Steamboat Block, 1940s

According to available newspaper archives, the "prow" of the Steamboat Block was removed in 1940, and this service station was constructed by George McGaffick and Howard Retz.

 

June 1940 Service Station Opening Ad

 

McGaffick and Retz Crew, Possibly 1940
Photo by Les Jorud


COURTESY OF THE DAVID POOR COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 

Steamboat Block Office Remodeling, 1951


COURTESY OF KATHRYN FEHLIG

In 1951, Mountain States Telephone & Telegraph Co. moved its accounting department from Salt Lake City to Helena. MST&T leased office space in the Power Block, and extensive remodeling was done. The accounting offices remained in the Steamboat Block until 1962, when MST&T moved most of their operations to the former Western Life building on Park Ave.



Steamboat Block, mid-1950s


COURTESY OF DARCY O'DELL

 

Steamboat Block, August 3 1968
Last Chance Stampede Parade


COLLECTION OF KENNON BAIRD