William Lorey Jr.
Pioneer Sign Painter & Decorator
William Lorey's Shop at 126 South Main St., 1899
COURTESY OF THE COLLEEN KESTERSON FAMILY COLLECTION
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE IN A NEW WINDOW
|This substantial three-story building was apparently destroyed by the 1935 earthquakes. It last appears on Sanborn Insurance Maps of Helena in 1930.
1899 City Directory Ad
Lorey's 1883 "Daily and Weekly Herald" Sign
COURTESY OF THE CHARLES J. TIPTON COLLECTION
Death at Warm Springs
Obituary in the St. Louis Westlich Post
German Language Newspaper
Sons in the Business
By 1906, William Lorey & Sons moved from 126 S. Main St. to 28 Edwards St. at Park Ave., on a site now occupied by a parking lot on the west side of the DoubleTree Hotel.
William's son, Charles, was active in the Helena signpainting business for many years, with a shop at 312 N. Jackson St..