The 1914 Y. M. C. A. Building
331 Fuller at Lawrence


Gold Found During Construction
Not Unusual for Helena


 

Y. M. C. A. Building, circa 1915


COURTESY OF THE DAVID POOR COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

 


The 1914 Y. M. C. A. building, on the southeast corner of Fuller and Lawrence. It was demolished in the 1970s, during the Urban Renewal period.

According to the Helena Y. M. C. A. website, the Helena 'Y' was first chartered in 1889, and is the oldest Y. M. C. A. in Montana,

Immediately following the 1935 earthquakes, several City of Helena offices were temporarily housed in the Y. M. C. A. building.


A 1970s View of the Corner


PHOTO BY VIRGIE MILLEGAN BAIRD - COLLECTION OF KENNON BAIRD

 

The Current Y. M. C. A. Building, 1200 North Last Chance Gulch, Opened in 1973

 

Site of the Current Y. M. C. A. ~ 1950s and 2012
1934 Stonework Parking Circle
Now Part of Nearby "Old Glory" Memorial


TOP PHOTO COURTESY OF THE DAVID POOR COLLECTION • CLICK ON IMAGE TO OPEN A BIG VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW

A 1934 roadside tourist rest area once occupied part of the site of the current 'Y'. The masonry was done by Joseph Merzlock ( 1872-1937). It was partially reconstructed just north of its original site in 2002, and is now part of the "Old Glory" memorial.



Go back to STORES, OFFICES, ETC.