State Court/Bell Motel(s)
State Court, 40 E. Lyndale, Late 1930s
OF KENNON BAIRD
with no toilets? Well, at least you had a choice. This
postcard was very cheaply printed. Treasure State Court
(later Treasure State Cabins, Bell Motel) was expanded
and remodeled over the years
Clem J. Meyer was a local entrepreneur who, among other
intresting accomplishments, re-sheathed the restored Civic
Center dome with copper, and handcrafted his own coffin.
According to a newspaper account, Meyer operated the motel
for about nine years, selling out to Mr. & Mrs. W.
L. Bompart, who made the property one of three Bell Motels,
their own local chain.
went on to build the Main
Motel, 40 East Lyndale Ave., 1950s
OF TOM MULVANEY
Motel seen from Memorial Park, Late 1950s
1952, the buildings were renovated and the name changed
to the Bell Motel. At that time, it was owned by Mr. &
Mrs. W. L. Bompart. Helena newspaper classified ads from
the era show that many of the units were rented on a weekly
or monthly basis.
Bompart operation was expanded, and by 1953 there were three
seperate Bell Motels in Helena: The one pictured here at
40 E. Lyndale, 1900 11th. Avenue on the east side, and 1805
Euclid on the west.
the Bomparts sold the 11th Ave. location to Albert and Marguerite
Larson, who renamed it the Sunrise Motel...
Motel, 1900 11th. Ave, 1950s
the Larsons sold the Sunrise to Chester and Ida A. Leirness.
They operated the motel until at least 1964. The contents
of the Sunrise Motel were sold at public auction on Oct. 5,
1977. It has been demolished.