art deco building at Jackson and 13th, still standing, has
seen numerous tenants over the decades. In this 1949 photo,
we see it as Buttrey's Super Market. The structure was built
in 1938 by Ellis Blumenthal, who opened his Nuway Super Market
there on November 19. Less than a year later, he sold out
to the Buttrey's chain, who held their grand opening in Helena
on August 18, 1939 (see newspaper ad below). It was the 16th
store in the Buttrey's chain...
1939 Grand Opening Ad
was founded in Havre, Montana in 1896, At its peak, Buttrey
operated 60 grocery stores across nine western states and
was based in Great Falls, Montana.
of 1956, Buttrey's moved from the Jackson Street location
to the new Hustad Shopping Center at the corner of Helena
Ave. and National Avenue...