Center is still in business at 1088 Helena Avenue. It opened
in the fall of 1956. During the 1950s-60s, it was home to Buttrey
Foods, Super Save Drugs, Marshall-Wells, a laundromat, a shoe
repair shop, a candy store, a bakery and other enterprises.
There was a small Little Chief gas station on the east side
of the lot. If you have a better vintage
image of the center, please let
Independent Record display ad for Buttrey Food's grand opening
in the Hustad Center, Oct. 31, 1956. Prior to moving to the Hustad
Center, Buttrey's was located at 13th and Jackson.
OF THE BISOM FAMILY
ON THE IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW
store in the Hustad Center opened on Nov. 1, 1956. Marshall-Wells
was a Michigan-based hardware concern, which at its peak in the
mid-1950s serviced approximately 900 independently-owned retail
stores bearing the Marshall-Wells name, and 6,000 independent
The Helena store was in business from November of 1956 to December
of 1966. It was owned and operated by William & Barbara Bisom.
Marshall-Wells Storefront, 2011
BY KENNON BAIRD
display ad, Super Save Drug, Nov. 9, 1956
The Super Save
Drug sign, reflected in Marshall-Wells' window.
Little Chief Gas