monumental Egyptian Revival façade of the Consistory
Shrine Temple, still standing today, is one of Helena's best-kept
historical treasures: the interior of the 1880 Ming Opera House.
The theatre was acquired and modified by Helena Masons in 1912;
in 1915 the façade, designed by architects George Carsley
and C. S. Haire, was added.
the Consistory Shrine is the 1903 Helena Light and Traction
building at 19 North Jackson, also still standing. It housed
an electrical substation (where voltage is transformed) that
operated until 1951, when an outdoor substation was built at
651 Front Street. The Front Street substation was removed in
2004, and replaced by a larger-capacity station near Bill Roberts
north on Jackson is seen part of the 1897
Rocky Mountain Telephone Company building.