corner is where the Union Bank (now Wells Fargo) was built
in 1957-58. Upper floors of the old YMCA building on Fuller
can be seen in the background on the right.
in 1924, the Phoenix Building was very utilitarian in design.
Link and Haire were the architects; Frank Jacoby & Son
the general contractors.
constructed primarily as part of Helena's "Automobile
Row", which was comprised of the Empson Buildings on
Placer and Fuller, and the Central Garage at the corner
of Fuller and Lawrence. Among the first tenants of the Phoenix
Building were a Buick and Cadillac dealership and an automobile
accessories supply house.
the grocery store space was converted to the Corner Bar,
which had Helena's first self-opening electric-eye doors,
which were a real novelty.
building was demolished in 1957 to make way for the construction
of Union Bank & Trust Company.