Food Mart/Shopping Center
11th Ave. at Montana Ave.
Tower Food Mart, 1220 11th Avenue, 1940s
WES AND CAROL SYNNESS COLLECTION
Formerly Lundy's Market, the
Tower Food Mart was so named for its close proximity to the KXLJ
radio broadcasting studio and tower at 1306 11th Avenue. Unclear in the ad above are the names Jay and Clara Thrailkill.
25, 1950, a grand opening was held for the expanded Tower
Shopping Center, which included a variety store, and
frozen food locker plant. In
1956, more shops were constructed on the north side of the
view of the Tower Shopping Center
Following the 1956 Expansion
OF D. R. STINSON • CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE IN A NEW WINDOW
shows the row of shops added in 1956. Judging from the angle
of the sun and how empty the parking lot is, this photo was
probably taken on a Sunday afternoon.
The back of
the postcard reads...
Highway 10 & 91
Groceries, Meats, Lockers, Variety, Fishing Supplies, Laundromat,
Barber Shop, Rug Cleaning, Etc.
1220 11th Ave., Helena, Montana
Phone H 2-6770
W. L. (Bill) Higgins, Owner
11, 1956 Grand Opening Newspaper Ad
|The center operated until about 1962, when a new Safeway market and other shops were constructed on the site. The original Tower Food Mart building still stands, connected to the east side of the CVS drugstore (thanks to Craig Kirwin for the heads-up)...
back to STORES, OFFICES, ETC.